31 August 2009

Buddha Pest

I knew it was tell-tale when I entered the National Museum art galleries and all I saw was Buddha. True, Thailand does have an extensive tradition of art and the artifacts to prove it; but equally extensive is its display and revering of Buddha over every inch of the city!

In the United States, people take cautious meas
ures toward tolerance of all religions and not "flaunting" one religion over another. In Bangkok, it's no holds barred. Buddha is about as omnipresent as the heat and humidity. The smell of incense fills
the streets; Buddhas of every shape and size are sold street-side; alters are set up outside of buildings and homes; and you cannot walk more than a couple blocks without seeing a Wat.

The Wats themselves do not blend seamlessly into the local architecture as churches and mosques do back home. Nope, their vibrant colors, ostentatious architecture, and gold-trimmed roofs make Wats a conspicuous ever-presence on the Bangkok skyline. And if the sheer number of Wats don't hint at Bangkok's Buddhist majority (95% of the population practices Buddhism), just enter Wat Pho and it will become clear how reverently he is regarded. Idolically reclined within its overwhelmed walls lies a 46-meter long gold-plated Buddha.

But despite the innumerable Buddhas present in every corner of Bangkok, I was still able to find 1 (yes, I only saw 1) familiar face.


8 comments:

  1. While the US is more tolerant of all religions than many places, I beg to differ that we don't flaunt one in particular (enter the Christmas season). But I must admit it begs the question: Do Buddhists come to America and bring back little figurines of Jesus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, though isn't it more of a commercial flaunting then an everyday religious presence?? Ha! I really wanted to try and sneak out a Buddha, but tact got the best of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to post but it looks like the sisters already have it covered. Sarah, I'm glad tact got the best of you....on your birthday too.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it doesn't always get the best of me...i was just lucky that time! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get my pedicures from a Vietnamese woman in salon in Carrollton that has a Buddha and and altar by the check out counter. And around the corner, the Donut Shop next the the library is run by an Asian family (I think also Vietnamese) that has a photo of the Sacred Heart right under the wall clock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll have to let me know if your pedicure lady is burning stuff this month. They've started sending (burning) gifts and necessities to dead ancestors this month in Singapore. You can even buy bras and paper LV purses to burn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After dragging my young daughter around Bangkok for a couple days, she was pretty weary. When presented with that huge laying down Buddha she exclaimed.

    "No more Buddha's!"

    There do seem to be plenty around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Thanks God I'm not the only one who was a bit Buddha-pestered=)

    ReplyDelete