03 September 2009

Thai-Ups

As you have probably gathered from my posts, I'm in love with Thailand...well, Bangkok at least. But let's be honest. There are still some things that makes it a bit undesirable for more than a vacation commitment.

Traffic: Whether you are in the car or out, traffic can be a major pain in Thailand's capitol city. On the way to dinner one night, I sat in a cab for 45 minutes with my end-point just in sight. As the meter reached the hour mark, I finally decided to bail..an easy 15-minute walk got me to my destination. But walking presents its own set of challenges. Crosswalks are mere suggestions to the speeding cars and motorbikes, and filled-up sidewalks require you to join traffic on the street more often than vendors on the sidewalk.

Attire
: Though weather is conducive to flip flops and tank tops, these are not necessarily the best choices. Flip flops, though comfortable and cool, leave unsuspecting tootsies vulnerable to soiling and injury. Puddles of mysterious substances litter streets and sidewalks and often are deep enough to submerge an unsuspecting pedestrian foot. It's also a bit more hygenic to wear covered shoes onto the water-covered floors of squat toilets (for obvious reasons). And on more than one occassion while trying to cross the street, I nearly lost a couple toes to a speeding motorbike tire.

Tank tops present their own set of challenges, too. Sunscreen is an obvious essential for exposed shoulders. But more importantly, Wats, museums, and other tourist attractions often require ladies' shoulders and knees to be covered.


Scammers:
Getting scammed is the easiest way to ruin a holiday.
Lucky for me I did my homework before my visit to Bangkok...the same scam was tried on me 3 times! Being overly friendly and helpful, a local Thai (often a tuk tuk driver) will inform you that the attraction you wish to see is closed. (I was told the National Museum was not open, the Grand Palace was too crowded this time of day, and the Grand Palace was closed for "Buddha Day.") Fortunately, the local is happy to assist you. He knows of all the good Wats and attractions around the city that are open and is eager to transport you. Convenient enough.

In truth, the attraction you wished to see was in fact open, and the tuk tuk driver will take you on a LONG days excursion forcing you to visit a number of stores from which he gets kick backs. Luckily, I was able to curb this scam politely and decline their friendly invitations.

Zoning: Or should I say lack of zoning. To the Thais, streets, sidewalks, and alleys seem to all be used for the same thing. Motorbikes drive on sidewalks, cars park there too, and pedestrians (and their vending carts) plant themselves where ever there is space. Even the streets seem to succumb to this chaotic zoning. Streets are not always labeled, they change names at almost every intersection, and they twist and turn until North turns to South. A good map and some street-wise courage are necessities for getting from one place to another in Bangkok.

Despite Bangkok's wealth of history and tourist friendly atmosphere, there will definitely be some Thai-Ups for the novice and seasoned traveler alike.

6 comments:

  1. flip-flops and tank tops make one appear to be a low-life backpacker..com'on rook, make texas proud and get dressed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Well I WAS carrying a backpack! I had an emergency skirt (thanks, Grandma) in my bag at all time...just in case=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your puns. I hope grandpa is reading this. He would appreciate "Thai-Ups" and your other recent puns. Your comments on the best a'thai're to wear in Thailand were interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! All those years of listening to grandpa have finally paid off! Looks like you were listening to grandpa, too=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. no fair. Someone else is using Anonymous. The only reason grandma uses it is because she does not know how to use any of the other options. FYI I did not write the first comment, I don't even know what rook means. Does it have anything to do with hook-em horns. With one past exception, I sign what I write and will always do so in the future.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  6. I figured as much! I didn't think you knew what rook(ie) meant either=) I"m not sure who your anonymous competitor is, but a bit of mystery is always fun!

    ReplyDelete