28 September 2009

War Remnants Museum

This particular topic is emotionally charged to say the least. What I write below are only my perceptions from a post-Vietnam generation perspective. As my parents suggest, people growing up and living through the Vietnam War may have different perspectives than my own. And I welcome comments to this regard!

I should have braced myself for the grand entrance into a communist nation, not to mention a nation that doesn't exactly call Americans friends. Perhaps it's because the Cold War is over and the communist era has taken a backburner to other international issues, I expected Saigon to be alive with all modern conveniences, industry-ready, and tourist friendly. After all, they are opening a Hard Rock Cafe–Saigon this month!

Though modern in many ways, this former South Vietnam stronghold seems to exude sadness. Few smiles are seen on the street; billboards display the hammer and sickle conspicuously alongside Vietnam's flag; and Saigon's main attraction (the Reunification Palace) stands as a daily reminder of communist presence (now reality) in Saigon. But what I saw on the streets did not prepare me for what I saw in the War Remnants Museum.

Formerly know as the Museum of American War Crimes (need I say more), its galleries bear names such as "Aggression War Crimes" and "Historical Truths" gallery (hmmm...can history really be considered "true"?). Within the walls of this museum were photos, captions, stories, and accounts of the atrocities committed by American soldiers during the American–Vietnam War.

True, there are always two sides to every story. But what disturbed me most wasn't what I saw. After all, American soldiers don't have the best reputation for playing fair during wartime. Rather, it was what I didn't see that upset me. There was no mention of South Vietnam as its own sovereign country. There was no mention of civil war. There was no mention of the fact North Vietnam killed their Southern counterparts, too. There was only mention of "liberating" the South from the hands of "the aggressor." It's as if the roots of the war were erased, South Vietnam never existed, and the reality for South Vietnamese was that of complete oppression by the United States.

The artifacts and exhibits themselves I found troubling as well. Captions for many photos created a picture of torturous, violent American soldiers injuring and killing innocent Vietnamese soldiers. At the risk of sounding pithy, this was war, people would die, and it wasn't just the Vietnamese who were dying. Also, many of the photos on display could be left open for interpretation. And with unattributed captions, could we really be so sure that the child was "begging the American soldier to not kill her father."

In content as well as presentation, the museum focused on grains of truth turning them into generalizations and reality. It amplified the actions of the "oppressor" while almost erasing North Vietnam's own participation in wartime activity. It didn't record history, it created history...a history that generations of Vietnamese will now come to know, learn, and believe.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    Thank you so much for giving us a more realistic view point of this horrible situation. I wish that our own news organizations would report as insightfully as you have in this piece that you have written. It is very frustrating to only get the somewhat "anti-American" viewpoint because just as you said the "generations of Vietnamese will now come to know, learn and believe" the same is so of our youthful Americans that are constantly fed a diet of anti-Americanism. Thank you, Sarah, for your descriptive writings--you truly have a gift. I check your blog every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting. This was a very difficult blog for me to write, partly because of the topic but mostly because of my unexpected reaction to the museum. I usually take a non-biased approach to controversial topics and situations, exploring other points of view, playing devil's advocate, and not committing myself to one viewpoint or another. This is one of the first times that I truly could not do that.

    To be honest, I have never been too patriotic. Yes I support my country, but I will not blindly support my country's stances or actions just because of my status as an American. And as a blogger I guess that's my advantage. I don't have advertisers or political affiliations to which I have to answer.

    On a side note, I will now approach our own museums and history (as it is written) with a new critical eye. For example, the War Remnants Museum has an extensive exhibition on Agent Orange victims, a topic that has conveniently taken the back-burner to more democratic issues from the American point of view.

    Please keep reading, and feel free to pass along the blog link to anyone who may be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading the exchanges between you and Grandma Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete