01 August 2009

A Medium-Sized Move

One of my good friends here in Singapore just informed me she is moving to Switzerland. She's Eurasian (half Chinese-Malaysia and half Swiss) so the destination did not strike me as out of the ordinary. But the immediacy of her move did!

During our conversation over the last meal we would share in Singapore, I asked her "why the sudden move?" After all, she has a boyfriend here, plans to attend university in Singapore, and her school start date was just week away! Well, as "luck" would have it things had not been going her way. She was no longer welcome at her accommodations in Singapore, she had been battling an illness for weeks on end, her school was being less than helpful with registration, and then of course there was her aunt's medium.


Her family of Peranakan (Chinese-Malay) heritage living a couple hours north of Singapore is Taoist. As such, they consulted with their Taoist medium regarding my friend's time here in Singapore. Similar to the process I mentioned regarding wedding dates in Singapore (see my
Luck of the...Asian? post), my friend's family gave the medium her birth date and Chinese name in hopes that some answer would come. Well, it did but not the one she had hoped for.

The knife radical in her Chinese character name, alongside various numerology tactics based on her birthday, revealed it dangerous even to the point of death for her to stay. Though not a practicing Taoist, she told me once that she finds herself caught between the Christian and Taoist world's because of her mixed background. Seeing as this medium had advised her family for over 15 years, she decided to heed his advice.


Perhaps she finds truth in the reading, perhaps she trusts her family in Malaysia, or perhaps the threat of death makes any warning worth heeding. Regardless of her reason, back to Switzerland she goes, leaving Singapore behind for now, in her medium-sized move.

3 comments:

  1. I love your play on words and wish your friend well.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks grandma...I think the punning is genetic=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pun, too. You should be a headline-writer.

    ReplyDelete