08 March 2009

Just a Couple "Tips" for Lagos Living

The concept of a tip is not foreign to me. As everyone in the States knows, there are certain jobs that by nature of the pay (waitresses) or by nature of the work (personal service jobs like hairdresser or taxi driver) warrant a bit extra when a transaction is complete. Here in Lagos a process of a similar sort occurs - dashing.

There are a couple major difference though. The concept of dashing itself, as I have experienced, is not necessarily reserved for going above and beyond what is required for the job. For example, our driver Godday is employed 6 days a week from 7 am to 8 pm according to his salary agreement. However, if asked to actually work all of those hours (with a lunch break of course) I would be compelled to "dash" him. Or if I take him far from the confines of "Chevron-land" I may dash him as well. Understandable considering the man works 13 hours a day, six days a week.

Dashing also isn't reserved for particular vocations. Under certain circumstances I would dash guards (which are everywhere), my steward, the grocery store butcher or checkout person, my seamstress, and even the gardener. It seems to be socio-economic in nature (for example I wouldn't dash my husband's coworkers) and based on relationship rather than service (I may dash the checkout person at our local store but not the street vendor I have never seen).

The frequency of dashing is much higher as well. For example, back home I would very rarely "dash" a restaurant host to expedite our seating at a restaurant. Here, however, just a little naira gets you a long way in almost all situations. Bending the rules is ALWAYS an option with a little dash, and sometimes it is customary.

Dashing can even informally work as a consulting agency payment might back home. For example, I needed to hire security for our recent trip to Badagry. Though there isn't an official process for submitting payment through Chevron for private use, the security manager happily provided the people and services we needed (and promptly for that matter) in return for a dash.

In the end, the habituality of the "dash" in Lagos makes sense given situational factors. First, most people work long hours for little pay so dashes seem to be more necessary than the "tips" of back home. Also, the tradition of chiefdoms still reigns in Lagos. Though the chief no longer acts as the main provider for his chiefdom, his/her role as figurehead, decision maker, and overseer of his land and people is respected in Lagos even today. Finally, affluent Lagosians love to flaunt what they have. A mere salary increase for those in service to the affluent isn't as showy as offering money in hand and in public.

So if you are looking for advice for your next trip to Lagos, here is my tip to you: bring more naira than you think you need and prepare yourself for a good dash!

1 comment:

  1. I, for one, would welcome a custom of "dash" in Ireland. Here, being an outsider leaves me with no options for obtaining some services and expediting others. I'm not talking about special treatment -- just navigating the rules and networks that are familiar to locals.
    Because Ireland is (now) wealthy and Western, any kind of "consulting agency payment" is professional, expensive, and typically perfunctory. Would that I could find someone in a local market to help me! Would that I could dash the local fishmonger to get good advice on where to find good meat, or just good fish!

    ReplyDelete