11 August 2009

Bustling Bangkok

I'm currently on a 3-week excursion across Southeast Asia. But not to worry, you'll still get your blogging fill. My sister just completed a similar trip, so the next couple of blogs will be her perceptions of the same areas you'll hear about from me once I'm return. Enjoy!

Guest Blogger: Laura Seewoester
Bangkok smells of rice paper and sewage. The streets are constantly screaming with the chugging of tuk tuk engines and sizzling fryers of street vendors. The 12 hour time difference has made the jetlag particularly grueling. We find ourselves almost unable to stay awake in the late afternoon and unable to sleep in the early morning, which turns the days into a series of second winds. Coupled with the heat, we are stuck in a perpetual daze.

The people are remarkable friendly and are not shy to approach and speak with us. From the man at the bar giving up his seat by the A/C after noting two very sweaty tourists to the stranger on the street looking to give us directions, everyone is warm and inviting. We can't help but think what is in it for them and half expect a plea for money at the end of each conversation. Was that stranger on the street in cahoots with the tuk tuk driver vying for our money down the way? One can't be sure. Maybe they are mesmerized by JP's red hair, or my big boobs (or both), maybe they just want to practice their English, or maybe it is a general obsession with all things American.

With a plethora of 7-11s, American ads, and the constant blare of American music from the radio, one can't help but think that we, as tourists, are as much a novelty to the people as the latest American fashion or hit song. They certainly know more about our culture than we can begin to understand of theirs. Regardless, the friendliness of the people make Bangkok much less intimidating for a wayward traveler.

Next we are traversing the road to Siem Reap, a route notorious for bad roads and scams. The only other alternative is a $200 one-way plane ticket on the only airline that flies there from Bangkok. Wish us luck.

Peace in the southeast.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard, Laura. I got a big laugh over the red hair and big boobs comment. Some of your experiences mirror our experience of jet lag when we visited the Philippines and Taiwan for a month and we are close to 50 years older than you. I quickly decided I could sleep back in the states and back home I did become a couch potato for a month. One day, in a market in Manila, a child about 6 years old got very close to me and stared at my skin. I extended my arm and told him it was o.k. to touch, which he did, giggled and ran back to his mother. All the Filipinos were friendly and we experienced no scams. There were hordes of begging children. We were told not to give them money because they would have to turn it in to the "mafia?" who would give their family just enough food for the daym, keep the balance and they would be begging the next day. The children were hard to resist. I kept a coin in my hand and once when a child approached I grabbed her hand and we skipped along a bit. I told her not to tell anyone and left the coin in her hand. That's what grandmas do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story and photo. I am so proud that both of my daughters are kick-ass writers. Hey if Laura can say boob in a blog, I can say ass.
    Loved reading the post and granma's story about the coin and the little girl in Manila.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm confused, you are assigned there for 6 months and then you get a 3 week vacation? What the heck? Can you adopt me? Best wishes, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Well, I had to leave money bags at home, Jim. Someone had to fund my 3-week trip! We have an extra bedroom and would be happy to adopt you for an Asia trip! We're outta here Oct. 31.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...it's a great story Laura and great pictures! OK, I have now heard jet-lag horror stories from 3 people who've traveled East to West...I'm not looking forward to the flight (and recovery) back to the US.

    ReplyDelete