22 April 2010

A Little Night Music

Since Warsaw seems to be the city of music, I found it apropos to attend a local concert one evening while here. As luck would have it, I happened upon the Frederic Chopin University of Music en route to the Chopin Museum (closed for renovations). The Music School's information desk attendant didn't speak English and I speak no Polish. So between hand signals, a couple of in-common words, and the universal language of numbers I was able to gather the following:
  1. There was in fact a concert to attend that evening (I think "concert" is a Polish cognate).
  2. It started at either 5 or 7 o'clock (she held up 5 fingers and then slowly brought up two others on her unoccupied hand...not sure what that meant).
  3. And it was free (rubbing two fingers on my thumb – the universal sign for "money" – cleared that up).
I wasn't quite sure what I was in for, but I was pretty certain it would be good. Gambling with the time, I opted for a 7pm start. But upon entering the university building, I immediately got the feeling I misread the situation entirely. There were as may children as there were adults, and the long lines at the candy machine seemed to indicate an intermission of sorts. Well shoot...I missed half the concert, but perhaps it was for the better. After all, it seemed to be a family recital night and I'd probably hear more squeaks and squeals than actually notes being played. If I hadn't been a former band geek I probably would have left. Boy I'm glad I didn't.

The first group to perform was a cello and two-violin trio. The oldest couldn't have been more than 10. As I thought back to my beginner bassoon lessons, I closed my eyes and braced myself for the blow. But "blow" they did not! They weren't just good; they could have beat out college trios I've heard perform. Not only was intonation and technique there, but the oldest violin player had clearly been coached in the performance-end of violin playing...acting out her music in movement.


And it just got better...a solo trumpet that missed only one note; a flute, clarinet, and piano trio that performed technique beyond their years; and five guitars playing classically (not strumming) in complete unison. Just when I thought the performances couldn't be topped, out walks a full sting orchestra followed by an 8-year-old. The young girl greeted the first chair violinist and cellist with handshakes then proceeded to not only play, but to lead the entire orchestra using her movements as cues.

At the end, the prodigy received an encore ovation, and floral
arrangements and bouquets were presented in honor of her grand performance. Apparently Warsaw not only eats, drinks, and breathes classical music, but even the kids play it damn well!

No comments:

Post a Comment