29 January 2010

Texas, My Texas

Leaving Texas is always a little bittersweet, and my grand farewells always seems to conjure up random facts from childhood. After all:
  • Texas is the only state that was its own country (and is allowed to raise its flag inline height-wise with the stars and stripes as a result).
  • Texas IS the biggest state in the Union, isn't it? Alaska doesn't really count.
  • Texas must be a great place if its founders (Davy Crockett, Sam Houston) were actually defects from the now home of the other UT (Tennessee, that is).
  • And who couldn't love a state whose name appropriately means "friends"?
It also stirs up feelings of confusion as I once again claim my place as a Texan out of Texas:
  • No, not everyone in Texas has a twang.
  • No, I was not a GW supporter (though he was a great Governor!).
  • No, we do not ride horses to work.
  • No, I do not know Bobby or J.R.
  • No, not everyone carries a gun with them.
  • Yes, Texas is the best place on earth. Just ask any Texan and they'll tell you.
And without saying, leaving family and friends is always the hardest part. But with bags packed and good-byes said I've moved on to "greener pastures"...literally. We'll see what California has in store...

4 comments:

  1. California was a country too. The Bear Flag republic was declared in June 1846 in Sonoma. Despite the fact that the bear on the flag looked more like a pig the republic lasted until July when the U.S. Navy took over. Check it out when you go up to Sonoma and taste some lovely Califonia wine. That will help cure your homesickness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. News to me! Thanks for the correction=) I'm headed to Sonoma in a couple of weeks so I'll have to check it out. Though I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the name "the bear flag republic." Ha! Having lived here for so long you'll have to keep me on my toes about Californian-isms and history. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often thought that people moving into the Golden State should be required to take some basic history. Like did you know that the San Diego mission was founded in 1776? There was something going on the other side of the continent about then too, but I can't quite remember. We'll be happy to "Open up that Golden Gate!" if you promise to behave. Like don't keep pointing out that the barbeque here sucks, it does but we don't like to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a deal, Jim! I promise to behave...speaking of BBQ. Brain has just about perfected his BBQ chicken. We need to guys over soon! What's yall's schedule look like the next couple of weeks?

    ReplyDelete