31 December 2009

Train Transit in Texas?

Who says you need a car to get around Dallas. This truck-driving, SUV-obsessed metroplex has finally gone metropolitan. From Plano to Pearl Street and Fort Worth to Victory Park, DFW residents can now commute cross-town by train.

In 2002, the beginnings of the DART Rail System made their debut traversing from northeast Dallas to downtown. And with the new TRE line (opened last year) and the forthcoming Green Line from Carrollton, you can get anywhere from downtown to the airports to Cowboys games, all for less than $4 a ride.


Taking the plunge myself, I opted for TRE transit on a recent jaunt to visit my sister in Fort Worth. Now I don't claim to be a public transit expert by any means but I am fit to compare, having lived in and visited countless cities all with very different interpretations of what constitutes "public transit."

Logistically, DFW's train system can be a bit confusing, especially for a city not honed in the art of train travel. There are different fares for local and regional travel, and travel direction is not clearly marked. Luckily (in true Texas style) there are plenty of locals and seasoned train travelers who are more than happy to help you along. From buying tickets, to reading maps, to just passing time on the train, DFW commuters are the friendliest and chattiest I've met. The personal touch doesn't stop with the riders either. Train attendants announce each stop, remind you to collect your belongings, and periodically patrol the cars to answer questions and monitor clientele.

Scheduling can be a bit of a setback for the late-comer; at times the next train won't arrive for another 1.5 hours! But for those proficient in punctuality, travel time is fast...so fast that
“it’s not even enough time to get into a good conversation on the phone” according to one rider. And the plush seats and free wi-fi make it all the more convenient and comfortable.

Despite some minor drawbacks, this first-time rider gives props to DFW for tackling public transit. While Dallas' larger-city counterparts notorious for sardine-like population densities
(like D.C. and Chicago) have maintained fairly successful public transit programs, Dallas has gone above and beyond offering similar transit in a low-density metroplex whose borders span 9,286 square miles. And more so, it's done this in a town whose citizens truly take pride in their ride.

3 comments:

  1. While it's great to have the freedom of driving my own car, (it's like a giant purse)there's a lot to be said for sitting back and enjoying the ride. I've logged so many miles behind the wheel driving kids around, getting groceries etc., that I like to be the passenger any opportunity I get. It's a shame we don't have better public transportation here . . . but then I'd need a bigger purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That is great, and I can totally identify with the purse analogy! It's almost as if we could live out of our cars if we need. Now that I'm back behind the wheel, I too completely appreciate being the passenger. Just think...most of your kids have their license now! There is an end in sight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I was thinking of after Bill's surgery. He wasn't allowed to drive for about 6 weeks or more (thank God, we all saw what happened when he used a power tool.) Then when he was driving but still on disability, I got to be the passenger. Now he's back at work and I'm on my own.

    ReplyDelete