13 May 2009

The Land of Over-labeling: Part 2

As I mentioned in "Over-labeling: Part 1," Singaporeans make even the obvious...well, obvious. And pretty much any topic is not taboo in this regard. Just visit a public bathroom and you'll see what I mean.

As any seasoned Asia traveler will know, you'll encount
er two types of toilets here: the "Western" toilet and the "Squatter" toilet. The "Western"
toilet being the seated type most typical of
European and American bathrooms and the "Squatter" being the porcelain-bordered hole in the ground requiring its user to squat.

Since Singapore is in fact in Asia, people may be confused about how to properly use the Western toilet. Luckily, most Singapore restrooms offer at least a rudimentary explanation. Public restrooms housing both types of toilets usually post pictures on the doors of how each is used. But with luck, you may find a restroom with more detailed instructions like the ones shown here.

Unfortunately it is not the Western population being catered to. So in an attempt to be a bit "Singaporean" (when in Rome...), here is a link detailed squatter instructions courtesy of wikipedia.com: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_toilet.

4 comments:

  1. I thought Asians respected their elders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently not...I can just imagine granny trying to navigate one of the squatters! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Singapore twice in 2008 and just loved it! Of course, coming from Ireland it was mostly the heat that impressed me.... but I also enjoyed how clean the city was.

    This post totally brought back my memory of the toliet instructions - I kept meaning to take the camera to work to capture the same sign you have above, but never did. Many thanks for posting so I could share with Will -- he didn't get to go on the Spore trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The city is super clean, that's for sure! I'm glad you enjoyed your time here!! I guess the toilet situation just goes to show that "common sense" is not always "common."

    ReplyDelete