01 December 2008

The English Tug of War

In Yoruba class last week, our instructor Tayo posed a question to us: What challenges have you faced with friends and colleagues who are Nigerian? Inevitably, the topic of English pronunciation came up. On a daily basis, we find ourselves unable to understand our own language in basic conversation. Whether it is pronunciation (which part of the word is emphasized) or cadence (which part of the sentence is emphasized), this unlikely barrier causes miscommunication and lack of understanding in even the simplest of situations.

As our class discussed the challenges of this Nigerian-American English tug of war, Tayo relayed to us an interesting story. During his grade school years, often teachers from Western or European countries would come in to teach various subjects. Armed with their expert approaches to pedagogy, and of course their various English accents, these teachers were responsible for what the students learned...and Tayo did not understand a word of it. Their accents were so different from his that he desperately copied everything the teacher wrote on the board just to stay afloat.

Tayo's experience is not an isolated case, as most current and former university students can attest to; however, his experience is different in one key way - it was his responsibility to understand his "Western" teacher, not the teacher's responsibility to acclimate accentually for the Nigerian students.

It occurred to me how often American university students shed their own responsibility to understand when placed in similar situations. We blame unintelligible accents for bad grades, or complain we must learn an accent in addition to the course material. Somehow the sole expectation for acclimation is placed on the non-American speaker.

After class, I shared these somewhat troublesome thoughts with Tayo. "Thanks be to God," was his response. "We come from different races, from different backgrounds, from different countries, and yet it is still you and me." He pointed to me, the whites of his eyes speckled with traces of red sleeplessness, but he continued with intensity. "We must communicate to understand each other, and that is our God-given gift." And with this ability comes responsibility - to communicate, to understand, and to meet one another halfway.

10 comments:

  1. Interesting! Sarah, you should check out the Saint of the day at AmericanCatholic.org. Blessed John of Vercelli. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! So Blessed John was a peacemaker... there is no such thing as a coincidence if you ask me.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your and Tayo's understanding of second language acquisition (or should I say 'accent' acquisition) could very likely prevent war.
    I am so proud (and envious) that you have opportunities to play with and make real all of those things we know about language and how language influences thought, culture, bias, and who are are. Ausgezeichnet mijita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're online, Mom! I've missed you=) I'm glad you like my posts, and I agree. Little things like this can prevent bigger misunderstandings from occurring. I actually had more to the story than I posted...it was getting too long. Here's the deleted part:

    I had a similar experience with another man, coincidentally named Tayo as well, when I first moved here. He told me something that has stuck with me since. We were talking about diversity and being from different backgrounds and how misunderstandings can occur based on this alone. He told me, "because I know you as a person, I respect your values" regardless if they are different from my own. You see, if we get to know each other as people, as fellow human beings, not as some label, creed, or physical characteristic, how can we help but respect who each other is and what we have to say. And even if someone is disrespected in this manner, we are still called to maintain this respect for the other person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. . . Could this also work within our own culture. . . maybe even our own family . . . ?
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :)


    I DO enjoy your postings, Sarah. You are a good writer and share some interesting and provocative thoughts and stories. I'm glad you added the deleted part. What a mouthful!!! And I also enjoy the comments posted, whether it's light banter or deep and insightful. (Now I need a beer and some barbeque)

    ReplyDelete
  6. . . . if only I knew where to find some good barbeque. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely Aunt Diane...family is the toughest one to understand sometimes=) Grandma Ceil was actually the one who prompted my posting the deleted part. Thanks Grandma Ceil!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the left-out part, Sarita. It made me think of Fredi and Gisela and the Friendship Force which was started by Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter. The idea behind the Friendship Force, an adult foreign exchange program, was that if enough people had friends in other countries, we would be less likely to bomb (or go to war with) that country because we would not want our friends to experience the consequences of war.
    Keep writing, mija.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Bar B Q? Now you're in my territory Diane. I will take up the challenge to find the best in St. Louis. As you know, Arthur Bryant's in KC is hard to beat. I'm on the case when we visit after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Steve! I'm going to take you up on that! And I'm going to give you an extra challenge! I'm a vegetarian and I don't like tofu! Although, if you find truly excellent bbq I might be persuaded to taste a nibble. I was thinking maybe some good bbq catfish, on a bun. Let me know and I'll go with you.

    ReplyDelete